6 days ago
Hello, dear Peace Architects!
As I was guiding meditation for some European groups, I found myself challenged, as I was trying to adapt to some rather skeptical minds. I have asked LP John for some advice, and at his suggestion I will post it here, hoping that you can also pick up some interesting tips from what he told me. His suggestions helped me a lot, especially the 'Don't believe me, try it for yourself'' part that I told to the new comers :)
LP John's advice:
- Convincing them that meditation is really Science … not magic, religious practice or any of sort. Give them very basic example such as the analogy of hardware and software … Lately I come up with an example about how happy and unhappy will change the way we perceive things. For example, for the same dish, if we eat with different feelings, they taste differently. So, don't you want to try this simple exercise to improve the way you perceive things?
- Trying to emphasise that meditation is a kind of exercise … it's just a way to effectively stop thinking. And we need this exercise to make the mind strong as we need exercise to make the body healthy.
- Trying to challenge them in the way that "don't believe me" … "try for yourself" … "I'm not using any magic to control you" … "this is not hypnotising" … for me "it would work even though you are not wearing orange". For me, it's very important to create a trust and break the ice. Sometimes we make a small joke that helps create a more friendly environment and of course make people feel Sabai.
- For Europeans … you can skip the visualisation part. But I would say mantra is still very effective and important. So, unless you have more minutes in explaining about how visualisation works, skip it. But pay more attention in explaining about mantra … or you can use the word "word phase of mental exercise" to avoid religious connotation of the word "mantra" itself.
- Usually people who are very stressful will enjoy feeling relax … imagining that they are in an empty space … or a beautiful place. So, if this works for them, you can use this part longer.
Apr 24, 2011
Special Ops: My experience with Peace Revolution - Published
Proposed DateTo be announced
I have the possiblity to promote the amazing Peace Revolution to young people in my community.
My objective is to raise awareness towards Peace Revolution.
I intend to publish an article on the website of the youth organisation of which I am president.
Young people in my organisation and community will have the chance to read about my experience.
Jun 5, 2010
Anca Gliga joins Peace Revolution.
- thats great idea Mian :)
- thanks Natalia , so nice of u :)
- Special Ops: Inner Peace
- Special Ops: Family Meditation
- Grcias a ambas :)
- Hi Graciela, yes, it will be on may 20th, 8:15 ... more
- We are living at a time in which, unlike previous ... more
- Thanks all of you. will walk together for the inner journey ... more
- Hola Emma, ya lo envié a tu correo ( un ... more
- Un abrazo Barbara :)
- Muchas gracias por tus deseos linda! Paz para ti también :)
- Great idea, I am looking forward to see them all ... more